Finalists Announced for AACTA Pitch: Regional Landscapes in partnership with Screenworks
The seven finalists for the national feature film pitching competition, AACTA Pitch: Regional Landscapes in partnership with Screenworks have been announced!
The finalists are:
- THE ALIEN ABDUCTION OF EMILY HILL (set in fictional town of Yabby Flats) | Michelle Brasier and Sam Lingham
When Emily’s boyfriend, mid-proposal, is abducted by a beam from the sky, she finds herself sucked into her own bright spotlight.
- BLACKOUT (set in Alice Springs, NT) | Leslie Simpson
When the power cuts out in Alice Springs, the remote Outback town plummets toward anarchy. In a desperate bid to stay alive, a small group of ordinary citizens establish a safe haven inside Bunnings Warehouse.
- COXY’S FUNLAND (set in South Coast, NSW) | Penny Greenhalgh and Jon Rex Williams
Trapped in a run-down family fun park on the south coast, an over-protected 9-year-old boy must survive the deadly attractions and escape the unhinged owner in order to save his parents.
- THE DEB (set in New England, NSW) | Katie Huggins
A teen boy in a small, rural town, wants to take part in the town's Debutant Ball - as his Drag Queen persona. The town is left reeling in the wake of one boy's search for true identity.
- LIVING COUNTRY (set in Gunnedah, NSW) | Norah Masige
A 15-year-old Ugandan girl and her family move to a town in Country New South Wales as Australia is on the brink of a severe drought.
- NEVER THE BRIDE (set in Byron Shire, NSW) | Sunny Grace
A commitment phobic marriage planner in Byron Bay has her life turned upside down when she discovers she is in the middle of planning the wedding for her ex, whom she believes was the love of her life.
- OFF GRID (set in Huon Valley, TAS) | Jenny Wynter
After being conned out of her entire life savings, a pregnant single mother is forced to live the off-grid lifestyle in rural Tasmania with her hippy ex-father-and-brother-in-law.
Each finalist will be competing for:
- Script development sessions with highly experienced development executive and Senior Screenwriting lecturer at AFTRS, Kate Stone.
- Invaluable feedback and ongoing mentorship from the judging panel.
- AACTA annual membership, including ongoing support and profiling of the project.
- Profiling and industry opportunities through the Australian Writers’ Guild Pathways program.
- A three-day pass to all sessions at the Screenworks 2021 Regional to Global Screen Forum.
- Screenworks annual membership.
- Australian Writers’ Guild annual membership.
- Two tickets to the 2021 AACTA Awards and Official After Party.
Winner to be announced in on March 26th, 2021.
For more information, please visit AACTA Pitch: Regional Landscapes.
The AACTA Awards are supported by the New South Wales Government via its tourism and major events agency, Destination NSW.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Official hashtag: #AACTAs
For further information about AFI | AACTA visit: www.aacta.org
For further enquiries about AACTA Pitch and Industry Development at AACTA:
Ivan Vukusic – Awards and Industry Development Manager | P: 0488 070 090 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org