AACTA Announces New Shorts + Web Fest Presented by MINI
AACTA today unveiled the jam-packed program for our inaugural AACTA Shorts + Web Fest presented by MINI, taking place from August 30 - 31 in Sydney at The Factory Theatre.
Hosted by THE FEED’s Jan Fran, the two-day free event will feature screenings of Australia’s top short films, documentaries, animations and web series; masterclasses with world-class web and short form creators; Q&A interviews with industry leaders, stand-up comedy; and opportunities to connect with Australia’s biggest names in digital creation between sessions in the Festival Courtyard, filled with food trucks, pop-up bars and a live DJ.
Honouring Australia’s most innovative creatives, the festival will screen a selection of films shortlisted for the AACTA Awards for Best Short Film, Best Short Animation and Best Short Documentary, and the two-day festival will culminate in special guests Danielle Cormack (PATRICIA MOORE, WENTWORTH, SECRET CITY) and Jake Ryan (THE GREAT GATSBY, WOLF CREEK, UNDERBELLY) announcing the nominees for each category. The shortlisted productions screening at AACTA Shorts + Web Fest are:
BEST SHORT FILM:
- DESERT DASH
- THE EGG
- THE PROJECTIONIST
- YULUBIDYI – UNTIL THE END
BEST SHORT ANIMATION:
- DELLA MORTIKA: CAROUSEL OF SHAME
- SOHRAB AND RUSTUM
BEST SHORT DOCUMENTARY:
- HOME FRONT – FACING AUSTRALIA’S CLIMATE EMERGENCY
- LOST RAMBOS
- SAVING SEAGRASS
- WAR MOTHERS: UNBREAKABLE
- WOVEN THREADS
BEST ONLINE VIDEO OR SERIES:
- AUNTY DONNA – GLENNRIDGE SECONDARY COLLEGE
- KOALA MAN
- OVER AND OUT
- ROBBIE HOOD
- SARAH’S CHANNEL
Developed to nurture and support Australia’s talented emerging short-form creators, the Shorts + Web Fest program includes a not-to-be-missed line up of inspiring and pragmatic industry panels and interviews offering unique insights from some of Australia’s biggest online and short filmmakers including:
- Masterclass in Web Series: Storytelling for the Internet: After a series of sold out Masterclasses in Web Series Creation across Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, AACTA again hosts this Masterclass again in 2019! We’ll take a deep dive into the art of delivering a story online and how these exciting opportunities and challenges differ from the traditional methods of television and film.
- Short Film: From Beginning to Beyond: While short films can be stepping-stones to long form content, they exist as their own works of art and become a filmmakers calling card. Join Australia’s award winning short filmmakers as they take you step-by-step through the process of producing your short film and discuss the world of opportunities once it’s completed.
- Short & Sharp: A quick series of Q&A Interviews positioned throughout the festival including Michael Cusak (DAMO AND DARREN, YOLO), Adele Vuko (SKIT BOX, OVER AND OUT), Christaan Van Vuuren (BONDI HIPSTERS, OVER AND OUT)and more of Australia’s top short form creatives answering anything you’ve ever wanted to know about animation, web series creation, pitching your concept and more.
“I'm so thrilled to be hosting the inaugural AACTA Shorts + Web Fest so I can live vicariously through all of the ridiculously talented people who've made these straight-up awesome shorts.” said Shorts + Web Fest Host Jan Fran. “Short films and web series are the perfect platforms for new, diverse and exciting voices, and I can’t wait to showcase what some of Australia’s emerging creators have come up with at the Fest. The day will also feature some insightful masterclasses, hilarious stand-up comedy and opportunities to hang out with other creators and fans! Tell your friends, tell your neighbours, tell your mother and come celebrate some of the most exciting content creators in Australia."
AACTA Shorts + Web Fest will also feature the live final of AACTA Pitch: Elevate, a national pitching competition designed to discover the most original and exciting ideas for globally focused, high-concept scripted series. Attendees will also gain valuable insight from our AACTA Pitch: Elevate judges in a Short & Sharp workshop to master The Perfect Pitch.
Shorts + Web Fest is a free event. Everyone with an interest in short film and web series is encouraged to attend, however RSVPs are essential for each session via our What's On page.
All nominated short films will also screen in Brisbane on Monday 2 and Tuesday 3 September and in Melbourne on Tuesday 3 and Wednesday 4 September.