NORTHERN VOICES (SYDNEY)
Date 4 June 2019
Time6:30pm - 8:30pm
Location Event Cinemas George Street
Tickets are selling fast for Northern Voices, a special AACTA event held as part of the Vivid Ideas Program.
Please join us as we present a collection of some of the finest animated and live action short films from the Asian region, including work from China, Japan, Malaysia, Hong Kong, South Korea, and the Philippines.
Deep dive into the hearts and minds of our Northern neighbours, and look at some of the most important issues of our time through their eyes, including their struggles with identity, new technology, and love and loneliness in some of the busiest cities in the world.
Hosted by Oscar®-winning short filmmaker Adam Elliot, Northern Voices offers an eclectic mix of the very best work from established Asian filmmakers, including this year’s Oscars® Best Short Animation winner BAO, as well as local students from high ranked institutions such as the China Academy of Art and Tokyo University of the Arts.
Northern Voices will feature over 15 short films, most of which have never been seen in Australia before, including award-winning films:
- Oscar®-winning BAO (dir. Domee Shi);
- Student Academy Awards® and 90th Oscars® shortlisted LIFE SMARTPHONE (dir. Chenglin Xie);
- Venice Film Festival Orizzonti Awards finalist MONKEY (dir. Shen Jie);
- AdFest Award-winning DOLLS WITH ATTITUDE (dir. Naoya Yamaguchi);
- Cinematic Tokyo Best Short Award-winning TOKYO ONDO - BEATS AND TEMPERATURES (dir. Shuichi Bamba); and
- Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival Best Picture Award-winning AGAIN (dir. Chang Gao).
At the end of the program, guests will be asked to vote for their favourite short film via their phone. The film with the most votes will win the inaugural Northern Voices Audience Prize 2019.