Tickets have today gone on sale for AACTA’s Northern Voices: A curated collection of short films from the Asian region, to be held as part of Vivid Sydney on Tuesday 4 June at Event Cinemas George Street.
Northern Voices will present a collection of some of the finest animated and live action short films from the region, including work from China, Japan, Malaysia, Hong Kong, South Korea, and the Philippines.
The collection will take audiences on a deep dive into the hearts and minds of Australia’s Northern neighbours, looking at some of the most important issues of our time through their eyes, including their struggles with identity, new technology, and love and loneliness in some of the busiest cities in the world.
Hosted by Oscar®-winning short filmmaker Adam Elliot, the program offers an eclectic mix of the very best work from established Asian filmmakers, including this year’s Oscars® Best Short Animation winner, as well as students from high ranked institutions such as the China Academy of Art and Tokyo University of the Arts.
Northern Voices will feature 18 short films, most of which have never been seen in Australia before, and includes the following award-winners:
- Oscar®-winning BAO (dir. Domee Shi);
- Student Academy Awards® and 90th Oscars® shortlisted LIFE SMARTPHONE (dir. Chenglin Xie);
- Venice Film Festival Orizzonti Awards finalist MONKEY (dir. Shen Jie);
- AdFest Award-winning DOLLS WITH ATTITUDE (dir. Naoya Yamaguchi);
- Cinematic Tokyo Best Short Award-winning TOKYO ONDO – BEATS AND TEMPERATURES (dir.Shuichi Bamba);
- Viddsee Juree Awards Top 10 Finalist SLINGSHOT (TIRADOR) (dir. Nathan Bringuer); and
- Hollywood International Moving Pictures Film Festival Best Picture Award-winning AGAIN (dir. Chang Gao).
All films in the program are under seven minutes.
“We are thrilled to present this showcase of incredible short films from our neighbouring film industries in Asia,” said AFI | AACTA CEO Damian Trewhella. “The growing Asian diaspora and the surge of new content distribution methods are seeing a fast-growing audience interest in Asian film, and ‘Northern Voices’ gives audiences in Australia the opportunity to see some of the best Asian short films on the big screen.”
Northern Voices is presented in partnership with Vivid Sydney, the largest festival of light, music and ideas in the Southern Hemisphere running from 24 May to 15 June 2019. Vivid Sydney is owned, managed and produced by Destination NSW, the NSW Government’s tourism and major events agency.